Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Doesn't Smell, Look, or Act Like a Blog, but It's a Blog


Dear Josh,

            So, mom is making me write a blog, you know how that is, but I don’t know how to write a blog. I DO, however, know how to write a letter, and since you’re preparing to head this way in a few years I figure I can prep you. For one, I wish I had been prepped. I had ABSOLUTELY no idea that THIS is how the first week in college would be. No one tells you the sucky stuff, ya know? So, since I am SUCH A GREAT SISTER (J J J J J) I am going to go ahead and give you the heads up.

Sucky thing number one: The rooms are small. And gross feeling.  And have tiny beds that less coordinated people could possibly fall off of and bump their heads in the middle of the first night. And on top of that, you have to share with someone else. It’s quite the experience.

Sucky thing number two: You miss your family. And I’m not just talking think of them every once in awhile when you have to do your own laundry or go buy your own school supplies. I’m not kidding—I miss the “fam” ALL the time.

Sucky thing number three: EVERYTHING CHANGES. I know, I know. I should have known this going in, but you don’t understand! It’s true! Barely anything is the same! And, boy, is that scary!

Sucky thing number four: Making BEST friends is a lot of work. Note that it’s only the BEST part highlighted, because I have for sure met a lot of sweet and nice and funny people this week. I just happened to forget that it takes a while to develop that comfort that comes with BEST friends. I’m working on that though J

Alright, Alright. Did I freak you out yet? Well, I can’t say goodbye without telling you a few of the many good things, too. I arrived eleven days ago, and there have been quite a few highlights since I’ve been here. First of all, did you know that everywhere you go in college the first week there is FREE stuff!? It’s great! I’m talking free food, water bottles, coupons, ice cream (a separate category from food---it’s dessert), bags, flying discs, and more! I even won a 20 dollar gift card to one restaurant I’ve never been to, A 20 dollar gift card to culvers, and a 25 dollar gift card to the coffee shop on campus. It’s been awesome.

Also, the activities available---are endless! I’ve been to a different campus ministry event every night and all of them are amazing and enlightening. Campus ministries are like youth group, but EVERY SINGLE DAY THEY HAVE SOMETHING GOING ON J It’s great fun. Also, I’ve joined the intramural SOFTBALL TEAM!! Yes, they let girls like me on. I get to play second base, even though I didn’t catch any of the pop-fly balls thrown to me at practice. I did catch a few grounders though, be proud J One night they had a hypnotist come to campus which was SO SO SO funny. I highly recommend you finding some hypnotist show sometime because I laughed so hard the guy beside me had to stop and check that I was doing okay. Tomorrow Maya Angelou is even coming to speak! It will be awesome.

Another great thing is the schedule. I can basically do whatever I want to do, whenever I want to do it. I can go to the 24-hour Kroger and Walmart at 1 am on a school night, do homework right after class or right before class, or hang with friends watching movies till 3 am on the weekends. I do get A TON of homework, but mostly my classes are done by 1 on Tuesday and Thursdays and by 10 on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Plus, I don’t even have to get up to head to class until 9! Ohhh Josh. You will love that part. I’m even up writing this at 1 am because I can’t sleep.

So, this first week at college has been a series of ups and downs, and it continues to be difficult. However, there are parts that I love, and I know God will get me through the couple of rough weeks before the good weeks start. I love you so much, Josh, and I hope you are doing well. I hope to hear from you on my birthday. It’s on Friday J

Love,

Maddie Mucci
7121 Regents College
Murray, KY 42071

3 comments:

  1. YES! BLOG! I LOVE IT! Haha "Campus ministries are like youth group, but EVERY SINGLE DAY THEY HAVE SOMETHING GOING ON" love this too! I miss you and I miss college now after reading this. Yes even the sucky parts because they helped me grow so much. Thank you for writing this! ps... I am your first follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddie!! I love your blog format: a letter to your brother! How sweet and presh! I know this will make Josh feel special:) Looks like you are getting involved and figuring things out. I remember those first few weeks being weird and strange and unfamiliar, too. Don't worry--it gets easier every day! And so true about the BEST friend issue. But you will figure that out, too:) I miss you, and I am proud of you. Keep us all posted, sweet girl! PS...I am your second follower!

    Love, KC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you just hit the nail on the head there. It is so different. College is it's own culture. I am happy to hear that you are having some fun and that you miss that amazing family of yours. I am sure they miss you, too. Hugs. Miss Julie

    ReplyDelete